WHAT IS DRY MOUTH?
Dry mouth, or xerostomia, is an abnormal dryness of the mucous membranes in the mouth, due to a reduction of the flow or change in the composition of saliva. It's consequences for the oral health are serious and must be managed.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF DRY MOUTH?
The main causes are:
• Chemotherapy and radiotherapy of the head and neck
• Autoimmune: Sjogren’s Syndrome, Lupus
• Immune system dysfunctions: AIDS/HIV
• Nervous system: Alzheimer, stroke
• Psychological conditions: Depression, stress
• Systemic: Diabetes, Parkinson
• Viral infections: Epstein-Barr virus, Hepatitis C
• 65 years old and more
Medication & Polymedication
• Analgesic, antidepressants, antihistamines, anxiolytics, cardiovascular agents, etc.
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF DRY MOUTH?
The consequences are:
• Oral lesions
• Gum Disease
• Bad Breath
Your Whole Health
• Poor nutrition
• Psychological discomfort
• And much more as you could only imagine...
HOW CAN DRY MOUTH BE MANAGED?
There is no doubt that water can help against dry mouth. However, as other hydrating solutions, it will only lubricate your oral tissues for a short period of time. These options are only temporary and will not treat you problem.
A powerful salivary flow and a saliva rich in healthy minerals will help treat and manage dry mouth. In fact, saliva is nature’s primary defence system for the oral environment. Its functions include:
• Acting as a buffer to neutralize acidic challenges
• Aiding in immune response with the presence of proteins, cytokines, hormones and mucins
• Aiding in proper speech and articulation
• Delivering calcium, phosphate and fluoride
• Performing as a lubricating agent
• Playing an active role in elimination of food and bacteria
• Protecting exposed root surfaces
This is why we developed highly-effective, non-irritating and great tasting solutions to stimulate the salivary process.
Please look below to discover the most effective home-care solutions against dry mouth.